- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 onion (small, diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cooked chicken (shredded, I use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 lemons (large, juiced)
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large deep pot. Once simmering add carrots, season with a little salt and pepper, sauté until slightly tender. Add in onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until translucent then add the chopped garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the shredded chicken, oregano, basil, a pinch of salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add orzo and lemon juice to the pot and stir, allow orzo to cook 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken broth and cream, season with bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Boil on high for 1 min then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking until orzo is soft, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Keywords: soup, lemon, chicken, carrots, creamy, hearty