- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
Filling – Cheese, Potatoes and Onion
- 1 + 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 heaping tablespoon onion – chopped very fine
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation and Serve
- 1/2 stick butter – cut into slices
- 1 cup sour cream
- chopped chives/green onion
- Make the filling. Add all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Make the dough. On a clean counter, make a mound out of the flour, then make a well in the center. Place egg yolks and eggs in the center. Using a fork begin whisking the eggs and bring in the flour a little at a time. Add the salt and gradually add in the water. The dough should start to form. Note: you may not end up using all the flour, that’s ok, just discard and remaining after the dough has formed and is no longer sticky.
- Knead the dough until firm. Cut into 3 parts.
- On a floured surface roll out one piece of the dough very thin. Using a cup or cookie cutter cut out circles. Repeat until you’ve used up all the dough.
- Place a small amount of filling off-center on each circle of dough. To seal the edge, dip your finger into water and moisten the edge of the circle. Fold dough over and press to seal.
- Boil a pot of salted water. Working in batches drop pierogies in soft boiling water for about 5 minutes. Remove with a strainer and place in a hot skillet and brown in butter.
- Serve with sour cream and chives.
Keywords: Polish, mashed potatoes, onion, pasta dough